March 18, 2008

"Candidate Voice of the People" Article
LaPorte Herald-Argus
March 13, 2008

Scott Ford: Best Lessons Learned in LaPorte Baseball

My business experience, education and background make me a well-qualified county council candidate. During the last 25 years I've worked with diverse groups of people, balanced multimillion-dollar budgets and created new jobs. My formal education includes a bachelor of science degree from Ball State University. But some of the most important lessons I've learned were while playing baseball for Coach Schreiber.

We learned through our baseball program that you take advantage of the opportunities that are presented and that you win by practicing solid fundamentals. These lessons also apply to government. We can't spend money we don't have, sometimes we must make hard choices that some people may not like, we must continuously improve our processes, and we must work hard to improve our future. We also learned how to be competitive and that winning doesn't take place without sacrifice for the team.

The most important thing I learned through La Porte Baseball was teamwork. We must stop fighting each other and focus on the real competition: the other communities that are securing jobs and investments while we play partisan politics with each other.

I believe La Porte County can compete in the global market for jobs and investment. If you believe that our best days are ahead, I ask for your support in the May 6 Democratic primary. My Web site is http://scottyford.blogspot.com/.

SCOTT FORD
Democratic Candidate for La Porte County Council At-Large