January 23, 2008

Why I'm Running

I am seeking the nomination for La Porte County Council At-Large during the 2008 Democratic Primary, and I would like to ask for your support. La Porte County is at an economic crossroads and needs knowledgeable, aggressive leadership on the County Council. My business management background, county wide economic development experience, elected office experience, and education make me a well qualified candidate to help lead La Porte County forward.

In my current position as Transport Services Manager, I manage a multi-million dollar business for Howmet/Alcoa in La Porte. I’m the only County Council candidate in either party that is an expert in intermodal, transportation, warehousing, and logistics. My 25 years of logistics management experience will greatly benefit the citizens of La Porte County when the County Council begins negotiations with the developers over future logistics projects. I have a B.S. Degree from Ball State University.

During the last four years I’ve been very active in county-wide economic development, serving on the La Porte County Economic Development Commission and the La Porte County Redevelopment Commission. Our commission’s biggest success has been to move La Porte, Michigan City, and La Porte County forward in a coordinated direction. We’re starting to speak to potential business with “One-voice/One-message”. This directed message--along with solid business processes--will continue to create new jobs for our citizens. I truly believe that “without a good paycheck nothing else matters.”

In 2006 the citizens of Center Township elected me to Center Township Board. The Center Township Board along with Trustee Greg Smith is moving Center Township forward. Finances are no longer handled in an “under the table” manner or for the benefit of one family. Visibility and “open book” practices of all transactions are the common practice now.

I believe in and practice open, fair, and honest government. We must open up the contract and purchasing processes to more competitive bidding, and focus on reducing costs to taxpayers. We must measure all county government services to make sure we are always improving costs and services to taxpayers of La Porte County. If we don’t effectively measure established processes, how can we set benchmarks and make improvements? Job growth and new business development will continue to be my main focus on the county council.

I’m committed to the Democratic Party and its principles. I was raised on a “steady diet” of Democratic politics, and I believe in the importance of standing up for the little guy and giving back to the community. If elected I promise you that I’ll never stop listening to you. I ask for your support and hope that you give me the opportunity to serve and help to make La Porte County a better place to live.

Democratically Yours,
Scotty Ford